Pages

Monday 16 December 2013

Eeek!! Milestone 18 Reached!!

For those of you who know me personally know that it was my 18th! (For everyone else, I turned 18 yesterday :3) Happy birthday to me!
"I'm wishing on a cupcake..."
Amidst the balloons, party popper confetti, ribbons and general excitement a thought occured to me - I've finally reached adulthood. It's a weird one because I don't feel like an adult; I'm still in school, still living at home with Mum and Dad (shoutout to you guys for being the best and making my 18th one to remember!) and I still rely on them for a lot of things. But at the same time, I feel like I should change my attitude towards life and just existing. 
There's a reason why 18 is traditionally the coming-of-age age; it's the age of maturity and responsibility. I don't want to be all drab and dreary and preach about being a completely boring and sensible adult at age 18 - you've got your 40s for that ;) Yeah, you can go out and party and legally drink etc, etc, because that's a part of growing up too.

But maybe you could stop and think for a second. Maybe you've spent (a portion of) the past 18 years moaning at your parents because they made you do the chores or didn't let you go to that party of the century. Or maybe you've spent that time being annoyed because they wouldn't buy you the adorable shoes/jacket/PlayStation/(insert desirable object here) that you wanted. 

But did you ever take the time to be reasonable and understand it from their point of view? Perhaps there was an actual reason for them denying you something so trivial? The reason I'm going on about this is because this is what occured to me yesterday. I realized how utterly selfish I have been, not ever considering or appreciating the little things my parents have done for me -and that's without weighing in all the huge things like putting up with me for my whole life and bringing me up and being there for me without fail whenever I needed them.

I decided to make this post to kinda raise awareness, I guess, and about "18th Birthday Resolutions" (like New Year's Resolutions but with awesome sauce and stuff :3) 

So be more mature and consider the reasons why.


Be more grateful for what you have and stop taking things for granted.

Step up, to your duties and be responsible for your actions as an adult because you're not a kid anymore. With great power comes great responsibility and all that jazz.

Confront your problems and clear the air instead of letting stuff fester - you're an adult now, so act like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment and I'll get back to you asap!